Warning: This post may be upsetting
It had been an ordinary day at work – busy and manic as always on an understaffed Saturday, but my shift ended early enough that I could get to Kay-Marie’s birthday party. Lots of my favourite people were coming specially for the party, friends I hadn’t seen since we all graduated a few months ago. A lot had changed since then. I’d searched all summer, but in September I was offered a job that was exactly what I’d been hoping for. I’d moved into a new home with one of the great friends I’d graduated with. But best of all the man I loved had made me his fiancé, so recently I was still aware of the feeling of the ring on my finger.
It had been an ordinary day at work – busy and manic as always on an understaffed Saturday, but my shift ended early enough that I could get to Kay-Marie’s birthday party. Lots of my favourite people were coming specially for the party, friends I hadn’t seen since we all graduated a few months ago. A lot had changed since then. I’d searched all summer, but in September I was offered a job that was exactly what I’d been hoping for. I’d moved into a new home with one of the great friends I’d graduated with. But best of all the man I loved had made me his fiancé, so recently I was still aware of the feeling of the ring on my finger.
Life was wonderful, and that evening was shaping up to be
brilliant. But as I walked through the autumn darkness to the station, my mind
was somewhere else entirely. It’s hard to describe it now. It was both
all-consuming and ephemeral. It was despair. There weren’t any reasons for it.
There was nothing worrying me or going wrong. But in my head I felt like I was
grieving and hurting. I switched trains at Northwick Park, and waited on the
platform. The night-time dark around me was the same as the dark inside.
You know that impulsive voice that sometimes comes into your
mind that might tell you to dance perhaps, or touch a dancing candle-flame? The
impulsive voice in my head saw the train whizzing by the station and shouted
‘jump, jump, jump!’
Combining forces with the irrational despair, the impulse
sung out so loud it almost drowned out my own mind and felt like pulled
directly on my legs. It was as though
there were two people fighting for control of my body. Depressed-Maria felt despair
so deep and so painful she couldn’t think of anything other than how to stop
the pain immediately. She was driven beyond all reason by it, and looked at
each train rushing by in the dark as an opportunity to end her pain with one
last final burst. But Real-Maria was there too and she wanted to live. She
still had the sense to know what it would do to everyone she loved. She was
still rational enough to understand that pain could and would end. She still
had hope. She was the one who dragged herself on to a bench on the platform and
wrapped her arm tightly around the armrest, anchoring her body against the
impulses of that other Maria. I sat on the dark platform and cried at the
battle within me.
Eventually the train arrived that took me safely to the station
where my housemate was waiting to take me to the party. I was the last to
arrive and got a really warm welcome when I walked into a room full of my
friends. They are a few of my brothers and sisters in Christ, people who over
the years I’ve known them have shown me love.
I cried to myself afterwards with a mixture of relief that I’d got
through and a fear of the impulses that had been pulling at me. But for now,
the memory of an evening with people who cared about me gave me enough strength
to hold them back. For a while.
I wrote out this incident, one of the clearer memories of
many, to try and give an insight into the way suicidal thoughts have been
affecting me these last few months. But I don’t know if this will be any help
to you in understanding my depression since even I don’t understand my own mind
right now. I hope it at least gives a feel for what it is like.
But also my friends, I love you. You are so often Christ to
me, and you give me strength just by being. Thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment